--- "DO IT YOURSELF" ENTRY ------- PURPOSE: To allow children with developmental, cognitive or communication delays participate in grocery shopping by identifying items with the help of a communication board.
MATERIALS USED: Board-making software, computer, printer, laminator (optional), Empty can, Velcro® squares, scissors, construction paper
1. Create, print and cut picture symbols of several items on your grocery list.
2. Laminate the picture symbols (optional).
3. Attach a Velcro® square to each symbol.
4. Attach the other side of the Velcro® squares to a laminated piece of construction paper.
5. Place picture symbols on construction paper.
Ways to Adapt this Activity
Use this activity at home by creating symbols of items around the house. Have your child find the items and bring them to you.
Author: Tots-n-Tech, Ideas to Share, contributed by Sarah Yates, West Chester, PA.